logo

2013 Archived Messages


Click on the week you require.
To return to the main Archive index, click the button at the bottom of the page.
Links to all the Photos and other images accompanying the list messages can be found on the Images page.

MONTHDATEDATEDATEDATEMONTHDATEDATEDATEDATE
January 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31 February 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-28
March 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31 April 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-30
May 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31 June 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-30
July 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31 August 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31
September 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-30 October 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31
November 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-30 December 1-7 8-14 15-21 22-31

June 15—21

From: Horace Hands
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Malvern and other matters.
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:15

A good show I think. I met a lot of old friends, including one who has been in Australia for 21 years, and who is here on holiday and stumbled on the show by accident − some here may remember John Steele − of Central Orchid Society ? Had a
good chat with him about orchid growing in Oz, pity I had to cut it short since I had left Joyce at a coffee shop

Am very happy to say that my Dendrobium amethystoglossum won best Dendrobe − especially so since it is one in the eye for the judges in my Society who didn't rate it on the Society show table. I can't resist having a dig , at the next meeting when any ribbon or whatever from Malvern will be handed over to me.

I have bored everyone silly I expect, with my "growing naturally" thing , as though I had personally invented the idea of growing orchids on tree pieces ( I believe Mother Nature got there many million years before me), but here is a nice one, on a branch for 3 or 4 months I thinkWe, some don't smell I think it is just that they smell wonderful, but only at a specific time when the flowers are ready to be pollinated. Before and after, no smell.
Geoff

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Peter Fowler
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:05

Geoff.....Do you use a special sp. of wood ,to mount your plants on?
I used to mount as many plants as I could. I grew them on cork bark or blocks of tree fern. Coarse tree fen was the best type. Graham at Bournemouth grows all his plants mounted.
Well he used to anyway.
Your Encyclia, or whatever they are called now, has a great root system and looks healthy.
It is more difficult to kill a mounted plant compared with a potted plant.
How did you get on with PNG seedlings you bought from Dick Warren. I think they tend to be on the small side, but you can buy small potted plants from his friend, whose name escapes me.
Peter, Alton.

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Geoff Hands
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:50

Oddly enough I have never had any success with tree fern, and very little with cork bark.
I have used oak, birch, beech, ash, cherry, elder,tulip tree....and a lot of gorse − from the areas burnt over by the foresters in order to encourage new growth of heathers in the New Forest. It doesn't seem to matter much, but orchids don't seem to like mossy or lichen-covered wood.

Geoff

Geoff

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Geoff
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 19:55

A few lines got dropped out of the message part − the plant is Encyclia fragrans.

geoff

On 18 Jun 2013, at 15:16, Horace Hands wrote:
> ...I have bored everyone silly I expect, with my "growing
> naturally" thing , as though I had personally invented the idea of
> growing orchids on tree pieces ( I believe Mother Nature got there
> many million years before me), but here is a nice one, on a branch
> for 3 or 4 months I think. Well, some don't smell − I think it is just
> that they smell wonderful, but only at a specific time when the
> flowers are ready to be pollinated. Before and after, no smell.

> Geoff

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Geoff
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:00

Alas , the seedlings succumbed, last year. I have reckoned up that I was at the local hospital on 24 days in the last year − as a patient, or accompanying my wife for an out-patient clinic, or visiting her when she was staying in. So 24 days when the orchids did not enter my head, plus all the days when I had other things on my mind, or could not even see them, for one reason or another
They went too long without being watered or even looked at − they were in a 2 Wests dewpoint cabinet, so they would stand a certain amount, but nothing is foolproof, and leaks develop at the times when they are left unattended.

Geoff

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Peter Fowler
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 00:15

Oh my. Encyclia fragrans. That certainly takes me back. That was in my first batch of orchids I ever purchased. Early 1980's, in my early 30's. Quite young for an orchid grower. Joined Wessex OS. Could buy orchids from Burnham and the invoice was in with the plants. If you were happy with the plants ,then you would settle the invoice. They were very good ,healthy, well established plants, like most of the plants from the big orchid nurseries. Take a day off of work and go to Wyld Court. Those Anguloas, Lycastes etc. row upon row of what I used to call Cabbage plants.
All those new Odont. Hybrids from Mansell and Hatcher. Plus the two large nurseries north of Lewes, Brighton, McBeans and the other one who bread Zygos.

Sorry for reminiscing. All happy days. Not forgetting the chap north of me ,near Basingstoke, who flooded the market with Equitant Oncidiums. Made good mounted plants and lasted a long time in flower. Ted somebody?

On 19 Jun 2013, at 19:56, Geoff wrote:

> A few lines got dropped out of the message part − the plant is Encyclia fragrans.
>
> geoff

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Tina Stagg
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:10

I purchased my first six orchids from Burnham in 1971, when I was 28. Well,
my second lot really as the first were pleiones, mail order from a
newspaper. I still have one from that first order, lycaste cruenta. I used
to buy things one year from flowering, which meant that the plants were well
established but cheaper than in flower. I wish I could buy those now.

The show at Malvern was good, wasn't it? It seems to be a well-drained site!
The three counties bit was impressive too − did anyone else see those
amazing six teams of heavy horses charging round the arena? The people we
were supposed to be staying with, B&B, won show champion for their bull. I
say 'supposed to' because booking.com had not bothered to tell them we were
coming so they passed us on to a friend up the road.

I am doing some late and neglected repotting today − mostly in moss and
perlite but some in Peter White's new wonder bark. Some may be mounted on
tree fern. I watched a whole tree gradually dying at my local garden centre
and then scrounged it when it finally succumbed. My husband sliced it up
into manageable chunks.

Tina

Peter Fowler wrote Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.

> Oh my. Encyclia fragrans. That certainly takes me back. That was in my first
> batch of orchids I ever purchased. Early 1980's, in my early 30's. Quite
> young for an orchid grower. Joined Wessex OS. Could buy orchids from Burnham
> and the invoice was in with the plants. If you were happy with the plants
> ,then you would settle the invoice. They were very good ,healthy, well
> established plants, like most of the plants from the big orchid nurseries.
> Take a day off of work and go to Wyld Court. Those Anguloas, Lycastes etc.
> row upon row of what I used to call Cabbage plants.
> All those new Odont. Hybrids from Mansell and Hatcher. Plus the two large
> nurseries north of Lewes, Brighton, McBeans and the other one who bread
> Zygos.

> Sorry for reminiscing. All happy days. Not forgetting the chap north of me
> ,near Basingstoke, who flooded the market with Equitant Oncidiums. Made good
> mounted plants and lasted a long time in flower. Ted somebody?

On 19 Jun 2013, at 19:56, Geoff wrote:

> A few lines got dropped out of the message part − the plant is Encyclia
> fragrans.
>
> geoff

-------------------------------------------------------------

From: Geoff
To: Orchid Talk List
Subject: Re: [OrchidTalk] Malvern and other matters.
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:20

Since the average age of orchid growers seems to be increasing exponentially, reminiscing is maybe in order !.
the nursery you had in mind for Zygos is presumably Stonehurst ? Although McBeans − after Ray Bilton − had a good connection with an Aussie breeder and often had good ones but alas, it seems that nothing green gets into or out of Oz these days − can't think why. Enquiries to Oz nurseries, even stating " I will get the CITES at this end − seem to go unanswered.
As to Ted, his other name was Lloyd, and he moved to somewhere in Norfolk, word was that someone breeding African Violets was the money man; he tried to escape his clutches by selling shares, and the Stock Exchange felt his collar for breach of the law, and he faded away. Don't know how literally that is true. Of course those equitants are now called Tolumnias, and have gone from being wonderful but impossible to grow, to being pretty little things, dead easy, but a bit boring. That's life.
Geoff

On 20 Jun 2013, at 00:15, Peter Fowler wrote:

>..Sorry for reminiscing. All happy days. Not forgetting the chap north of me ,near Basingstoke, who flooded the market with Equitant Oncidiums. Made good mounted plants and lasted a long time in flower. Ted somebody?

Top

Archive Index
Archive Index


©Orchid-Talk
email.gif - 2501 bytes